The state key laboratory of resources and environmental information system (LREIS) was established in 1985, one of the earliest national key laboratories and the pioneer and cradle of geographic information system business in China.
LREIS is dedicated to the research of basic theories and core technologies of earth information science and geographic information system and to the development of major industry application system and "Data-model-software-system" integrated earth information science research system. The laboratory promotes significantly the development of earth information science in China by discipline orientation, application demonstration and talent training.
LREIS mainly has the following research directions and objectives:
(1) establishment of the earth information science methodology that integrates graphic thinking, model calculation and knowledge reasoning, and development of the geographic spatiotemporal data mining and analysis models, serving the researches and applications in earth science;(2) study of the spatiotemporal fusion, intelligent calculation and geoscience analysis models in remote sensing, realizing the surface parameter inversion and feature analysis with a national coverage and high time sequence, and serving the national resource and environmental management and ecological construction;
(3) development of large geographic information system, spatial database management system and spatiotemporal information visualization system with intellectual property rights, supporting the construction of national geographic information grids and public geographic information service;
(4) establishment of the national data sharing infrastructure of earth system science, and further development into a national geoscience data integration and sharing center, promoting the informatization of geoscience research;
(5) construction of network platforms of regional environment simulation based on varied platforms of data, geoscience models and computing, and virtual visualization, serving the national macro management, emergency response and scientific decision-making;
(6) establishment of major industry application and demonstration systems under major national demands, deepening the applications of earth information science in the national economic construction.
LREIS has undertaken more than 300 national projects such as 973, 863, the National Natural Science Foundation of China, and the Knowledge Innovation Major Projects of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, involving researches in spatial analysis and environment simulation, spatial pattern mining and geographic knowledge discovery, frontier technologies and software systems of earth information science, data integration and sharing, major industry applications and demonstrations in resources and environmental information system, and so on. The laboratory has published more than 130 academic monographs and atlas and more than 2,100 academic papers; formulated 17 national, military and industrial standards; developed a series of software systems with intellectual property rights, such as the SuperMap, massive spatial database management system, and spatial analysis model system; applied for more than 70 patents and obtained more than 160 software copyrights; established the data sharing infrastructure of earth system science and the resources and environment data sharing platform of the Chinese Academy of Sciences; and won dozens of national and provincial science and technology awards, including 1 second prize of the national natural science, 9 second prizes of national science and technology progress, and a number of provincial and ministerial science and technology progress awards. LREIS has nearly 200 master and PhD students and postdoctors.